Monday, March 25, 2013

Trip to Wisconsin

By Oscar—Grade 5

Last summer my family and I went on vacation to Michigan and then to Wisconsin. We did lots of cool things in Michigan. We stayed for three days. We went across Lake Michigan and swam in it too. I think we we went across Lake Huron at one point but the real story was what happened in Wisconsin.

When we got to Wisconsin it was very hot. We learned that it hadn't rained in Wisconsin since school let out. It was about half-way or three-quarters of the way through summer vacation. That was a long time without rain.

The house we stayed in was very nice. It had huge queen sized beds and lots of other things. There was a room with tons of games like shuffleboard, foosball and air hockey. There were more board games than I had, like Monopoly, Clue, Sequence and Wheel of Fortune. They actually had 24 there. There were lots of toys too. The house was very big.

There was a huge prairie at the house but it was too hot to walk in it.

The owners of the house we were renting had chickens and the eggs that the chickens laid were very good. We could have them for breakfast. I didn't have any myself, because there was bacon. I thought it tasted good and I ate that instead. Everyone else said that the eggs were good.

My brother Jackie had broken his leg sometime in May and it was July. He had gotten out of his cast a while ago and he was just starting to walk again. It was that vacation that he finally ran once again.

We went to the beach one day. The sand burned our feet when we walked in it. My brothers Charlie, Georgie, and I were hopping up and down on the sand and had to take turns standing on the cooler before we laid our blankets on the sand. It was hard to take fair turns. I spent most of the time swimming and so did everybody else at the beach, (no sun tanning that day).

It was 97 degrees out in that part of Wisconsin. That was our coldest day in the state.

The next day we went to this place called Little Norway, or something like that. The temperature that day was about 99 degrees and we had a tour outside. We saw all sorts of stuff like horse snowshoes and little containers called tenas and old beds. We also had to see how many little dwarves we could find during the tour. It was very hot out but we enjoyed the tour because the tour guide was great.

On the way back from Little Norway we stopped at a small lake. The sand didn't burn our feet this time because we were in the shade and it was sunset. The water was cool after that very hot day. I think we went to that lake towards the end of the trip as well but I don't remember when.

I don't know how hot it was the next day but we went to Madison, the capital city of Wisconsin. The outside of the state house was beautiful. The inside was amazing too. We were in the state house for about an hour and after that we took a walk in Madison. There were a few cool buildings and a ton of restaurants. It was a good day.

It was 98 degrees the next day. We decided to stay at home. We took a walk in the prairie. There was just about every single kind of flower that you could think of. It was awesome.

I started to walk ahead of the rest of the family. Shortly after that I found Georgie walking around alone, so the two of us went off exploring. We had no water. We discovered several things that only we knew about. We weren't lost we could see the house and we knew the rest of the family was nearby and if we tried we could reach them but we liked it better by ourselves. It was like a maze. The prairie wasn't huge but I couldn't see my family. Then we heard Charlie and ran. This was a big mistake in 98 degree weather. I lay down on the grass. When I found Charlie I was so thirsty I drank half a bottle of disgusting tasting water.

When we got back inside it was so cool and refreshing that Georgie, who usually didn't care how hot it was, sighed. After that we played Monopoly.

It had been so hot on the trip that it was a little frustrating that there was a thunderstorm the morning we left and if we had stayed that day we would finally have a cool day. The grass had been literally the color of lemons.

On the way back we stopped at Niagara Falls. We saw two or three different huge and amazing waterfalls. It was awesome but when you see the big waterfalls you sometimes picture yourself falling over the edge.

Even though it was 98 degrees, Wisconsin was my favorite part of the trip and I looked forward to telling everybody back at home all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment